Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Input Recorder For Unity

Being able to record player input is invaluable for bug reports so players can submit their recorded play session and you can easily watch how the bug manifests.

After development, its also useful for the end-user to share his play experience to other people, or to allow other people to study other player's tactics.

So I saw this:


And saw how simple the input display was. So I went to try the same thing in Unity:


This only records input so far. Feeding those recorded input back to the game is another matter. Its also not possible to feed those data back into Unity's input system as far as I know. So I can't make Input.GetAxis() return the recorded input data.

Instead I would have to make my own system, like, say, RecordedInput.GetAxis(), RecordedInput.GetButton(), and so on. Feeding that data to the GUI system is also another matter.

1 comment:

  1. Melty Blood! Melty Blood! Loved that game to death.

    Warning: this comment contains no useful information.

    ReplyDelete

Made me post. 0/10.